Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Diamonds vs. Mud with Joanne King Herring

Yesterday I had the pleasure of listening to an amazingly engaging Houstonian.  As keynote speaker at the HNN Business Expo, Joanne King Herring (the real life Texas socialite behind the movie "Charlie Wilson's War") illuminated the room with her physical beauty and vibrant storytelling.

Ms. Herring made a lot of very good points, and had the entire room laughing out loud more than a time or two; but this is what impressed me the most.  Someone in the crowd asked her how she stays so positive and to paraphrase, her reply went something like this.

She said that she gets up every day and counts her blessings first, before she even thinks about her troubles.  She said that if you get in the habit of doing this, you'll soon realize just how many blessings you really do have.  She referred to her blessings as "diamonds" and her troubles as "mud" saying "Now why would you have so many beautiful diamonds and then want to throw mud all over them?"  I don't know if it's because I love diamonds or hate mud, but this little quote will be permanently etched in my brain.  So simple yet so eloquent.

I purchased her book "Diplomacy & Diamonds" and was fortunate enough to get it signed by her.  I'll post my review when I finish reading it, but something tells me that it is going to be a very good read indeed.

So Shape Up Your Attitude & learn a lesson or two from this inspirational, charming yet formidable Southern Belle.

http://shapeupwithsusan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment